Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Ethical Slut

I am, for the first time in my life, dating two men at once. The term "dating" should be taken incredibly loosely - I've gone with one 4 times, and the other 3. I'm starting to feel horrible about it because the one that I think might care (and I think I'm just over-analyzing things), I keep imagining him finding out and being completely crushed and feeling used. The other one I know is not looking for anything serious or committed and I know he's seeing other people - so I don't think he'd care at all.

I know I'm still just at the "getting to know you" stage of things, so why do I feel so horrible and guilty? I think I like this other one though... so much so that I didn't sleep with him when I had the chance. And he didn't push it either - which makes me think he likes me as well. He's very affectionate, and extremely sweet. I loved laying in his arms outside.

Now the other guy is also quite great - don't think for a minute that he's a jerk, because he's anything but. He's just not looking for anything serious, and until I met this other guy, I thought I wasn't either (I still don't really know if I am or not, to tell the truth). But now I don't know.

I'm 2/3's the way through "The Ethical Slut," by Dossie Easton and Janet W. Hardy. It's a great book; very insightful and thought-provoking. It really makes us examine the 'values' by which we were raised (the idea that you can only have enough love and time for one person, for example). And I thought it was a really great concept until I was presented with my current dilemma.

Please feel free to post your comments here, I'd love to hear other peoples opinions. In closing, I'm not sure my conscience is ready for complete sluthood yet, or ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're being a slut. I've always thought it's fine to date more than one person until you're exclusive - but if you do feel guilty, then it seems like you feel as if you're betraying the guy who may like you.

I guess you have to think about why you feel as if you're betraying this guy...you may learn that you really like him.

Sorry that's a bit convoluted, it's late and I'm woozy. ;]