Saturday, October 18, 2008

Unconditional New York Love

My two best friends from school revealed to me this week that they might not be staying in the city once they graduate. This came as a complete shock to me. I was expecting us all be in the city together after school, and forever (ala SATC). But this is out of my control and as they are two of my best friends, I'm going to, of course, support their choices (as much as I may object) and shut my mouth because if that's what they want, then I have to support them, as nothing less should be expected of me and I would expect nothing less of them as they have, for the most part, always supported me. One might move because of job opportunities and one may move because he has found himself hating the city after being here for almost 3.5 years for school - and he doesn't want to suffer living in Queens after school because that's all he thinks he could afford. My disbelief and upset from this news comes mainly out of selfishness - if they move away, I wouldn't be able to see them as easily and as often as now.

I think I am the only person I know who has unconditional, undying love for Manhattan right now. There is no way I would ever move away from this city - not for a career or for love. Since I was twelve or thirteen, I have known that this is where I'm going to live, and stay here I shall until I die.

I think that New York City is the epicenter of the world, especially for the line of work that I'm in (theatre). How could you expect to make a living working in theatre anywhere else? Of course, I say all this knowing how very lucky I am to have a chunk of money to help me pay my rent each month - so that helps. But even if I had to live with 3 roommates on East End Avenue, I would stay here. Nothing will ever uproot me from this rock we call Manhattan.

To quote Carrie Bradshaw:
"If Louis was right, and you only get one great love, then New York may just be mine...and I can't have nobody talkin' shit about my boyfriend."

No comments: