Saturday, January 3, 2009

Double-feature day.

Yesterday I indulged myself and saw two plays that I'd been wanting to see for quite some time, but have been too lazy to actually get out to. Now, logical folk would've said, "wait until it's not tourist season!" but not me! I took in a matinee of Speed the Plow, by David Mamet, and Equus, by Peter Shaffer, at night.

I had a great center orchestra aisle seat for Speed the Plow and I was incredibly excited to see Norbert Leo Butz in the role left vacant last month by Jeremy Piven. The show was about the head of production at a movie studio in LA and his inner conflict in which of two movies to produce. It was filled with quick & witty dialogue, and very humor. All in all, I loved it. And special mention goes to Norbert Leo Butz for being so amazing in a role after about 15 minutes of rehearsal!

Equus was slower and definitely more serious. It was about a boy who finds himself in a psychiatric institution after he blinds 6 horses. I definitely enjoyed the second act more than the 1st, though. Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths were both fantastic. The following is a picture of the crowd of people that wait across the street after the show for Daniel Radcliffe to come out. It's absolutely ridiculous!

No comments: