Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Shopping Demise

So, I did it, I went shopping. First, let me just say, the weather is DISGUSTING today. It's hot and humid, it's absolute rubbish (hehee, that's for Phil). I went to Old Navy first and spent a while in there since I had this plastic bag. I got this really cute brown & white dress, which I'm quite excited to wear. Then I took the Q down to Union Square and went to DSW, a few other shoe stores on 14th street, Anthropologie, and the two Urban Outfitters on 6th Avenue. I didn't find anything in any of those stores. Is it just me, or is Anthropologies' clothing really ugly? And it all looks like it should be worn in Victorian times, not today. I almost found a pair of really cute brown boots on 14th street for $40, but they didn't fit.

*

I'm back at the office now, and I was just thinking about this country's (and my mothers) tight-assed attitude towards sex (no pun intended... okay, maybe a little). My mother gets on my case every now and then whenever we discuss the topic of sex and how I don't believe it's sacred and all that BS, and she says something like, "Women who respect their bodies don't just give it away to everyone."

Another example of backwards thinking. Why can't we view sex as what it is? Pleasure. That's it. Most people who partake in this extracurricular activity, do it for that reason, not to diminish self-respect, etc. Why is it always the woman who is giving herself "away"? Why isn't the woman getting the mans' body? And what does that exactly mean, because technically, you're not giving anything away, you're simply giving into pleasure and enjoying yourself.

I understand some peoples need for monogamy out of fear for contracting STDs [and because they want to feel needed, or they need to have someone there for them (oftentimes a substitute for dealing with low-self esteem issues)] so I think that OBGYNs should be required to test for all STDs at all yearly check-ups. Women shouldn't have to ask, because most likely they'll be too embarrassed to and end up walking around and spreading a disease or virus because of it. Men, too, should do this, and we should develop a new type of doctor that is the male version of an OBGYN, because I don't feel it's a very good idea for women to have this specific kind of doctor, but not men. It might give some men the idea that women are... I don't even know! But... it's not fair (or safe).

In closing, I think condoms should be free and given out in schools and pharmacies everywhere.

No comments: