Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No one told us that 22 was the year you were going to learn everything.

For both my best friend and I, 22 has been a huge year of growth so far.

I had a long-awaited dinner date with one of my oldest and dearest best friends, since I was three and a half, last night. We went to Cosi on 51st and Broadway and had a lovely two hour dinner and conversation. We talked about everything that's been going on in our lives and I was really appreciative afterward because she was asking my advice and I was giving it, honestly, as usual, and she listened and wasn't offended and didn't take anything I said as "judging" her. It made me realize that people have to be totally secure in their friendships to take criticism or advice in stride from other friends, and not perceive it as judgment. That, I think, comes with time, trust, and being comfortable with who yourself as a person.

That said, I'm starting to realize which friendships I'm completely secure in, and that makes me very happy.

No comments: